At BirthWays we believe that all families deserve support through the birthing process. To that end, we are committed to helping provide access to doulas for as many women as possible.
Doulas are trained professionals who provide continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother and family before, during and just after birth.
Studies have shown the following benefits when doulas attend births:
- Labors are shorter;
- There are fewer complications and interventions;
- There is a lower chance of a cesarean;
- Babies are healthier;
- Babies breastfeed more easily;
- Mothers report a more positive assessment of the birth;
- Mothers are less likely to have post-partum depression, and more…
If you find yourself in a position of great need (for example, you may live in a shelter, be a pregnant teenager, be on Medi-Cal, or find yourself unexpectedly single in a low-income situation), we encourage you to fill out the form below to request to be connected with a volunteer doula.
Our doulas commit to providing their services on a volunteer basis, either to gain experience as they begin their careers, or to donate their time to women in need. Generally, doulas are working to obtain their certification and would welcome the opportunity to support you during your birth experience.
As a part of receiving free doula care you will receive the following services:
- At least one pre-natal visit so you can decide whether the doula relationship is a good fit and to cover some prenatal information;
- On-call coverage by your doula 24 hours a day preceding and during your labor and delivery;
- Support during your birth;
- At least one post-partum visit.
To participate in this program you must meet the following requirements:
- Be in a position of great need (low-income, qualify for Medi-Cal);
- Fill out the request form below;
- Be available to meet with your doula;
- Call your doula when labor begins;
- Fill out a doula evaluation form and return it after the birth.
If you would like to request a volunteer doula, fill out the form below and a doula will contact you to set up a pre-natal visit.
Fields in orange are required!